Exhibition at The Performance Space October 21-30, 2010.

Trashcan Dreams is a live installation project by Sarah Goffman in collaboration with Morita Yasuaki and Lina Ritchie of the Yanaka Group from Tokyo. As an artist whose practice embraces and transforms the detritus of consumer culture, Goffman will create an immersive environment for the interplay of repurposed materials and light with live physical presence and movement. Trashcan Dreams comprises a complex exchange of ephemeral visual languages, questioning both the human condition and our responsibilities to the wider culture and its environs.
Bec Dean
Associate Director The Performance Space

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Letter from Morita

Dear SARAH

How are you. The exhibition will start in less than a month!
We met at YANAKA last winter. Thereafter we only are exchanging words, keep on making the work. It will become a form as Trashcan dream! It likes dream! I can not believe it!

I feel it is a miracle. How do you feel about it? What is it?
Just it is not about meeting. It is a miracle that we can keep on making a work although we are away. If meeting is important, it is very easy way. For example, you did a YOGA performance at SHIBUYA in TOKYO. Then you met many people. But it has disappeared at once. You can understand what I want to say. I don’t want to say anything about the influence of your performance. I think that parasitism is more important than meeting.

What is parasitism?
I will go Australia, and I will meet your works. And you will meet my works too. We understand each other, and put ones' efforts together. It is the Symbiosis.

I dislike Symbiosis! Why do I think like that? Because I think the symbiosis is reasonable. But it is innocent. Reasonable hide will. So I dislike!
Parasitism has innocent. It has will of exist. I want to do like the parasitism at your exhibition. I will inhabit there. I deprive your work of nourishment.
I will paraphrase your work to my words. I want to make influence strong.
I want to reach its critical point, if I can do it.

At that time, does your work die? Does are your works paraphrased by my words? I just don’t think. It shines when your work will approach to breaking. When your work is conscious of death, life radiates a more brilliant light than ever.

The difference is pointed up by to parasitism and to paraphrase.
I think about Parallelism. Parallelism seems the equilibrium of forces. It appears, when it will approach other existence.

Parallelism is born by to parasitism and to paraphrase.

By who, to whom will appear after the parasitism. But the symbiosis hides Whom and Who. You and me are mixed. So I dislike. I want to approach and break you. And I feel I can’t approach and break.

When I will approach Australia. But I don’ t want be mixed.
When a spectator approach our works. But he isn’t mixed. Maybe he will be parasitism, paraphrasing, parallelism. I want to experience it!.

It became long. It faces in Spring there! Here faced in Winter.
I will try to go opposite and I want to be parallelism.
Please wait there.

I hope your work is good, and you are happy!

Your MORISAN


My plan

〈 creation 〉 parasitism・・・state of relation with SARAH

〈 method 〉 micro・・・ply ( a unit of a day, or action)
        meso・・・stroll ( process of a day, or action)
        macro・・・transformation (target of exhibition)

1 comment:

  1. How do I feel about it? Totally un-nerved by it honestly. So much seems out of my control and the work won't comply to my demands, and you are an unknown quotient, and as much as I admire your work, I am going to see new exchanges forming, and it is scary but exciting. It is the unknown that we are venturing into...I am glad that we have the opportunity to make this happen, yes it is miraculous. We will see!

    ReplyDelete