Exhibition at The Performance Space October 21-30, 2010.

Trashcan Dreams is a live installation project by Sarah Goffman in collaboration with Morita Yasuaki and Lina Ritchie of the Yanaka Group from Tokyo. As an artist whose practice embraces and transforms the detritus of consumer culture, Goffman will create an immersive environment for the interplay of repurposed materials and light with live physical presence and movement. Trashcan Dreams comprises a complex exchange of ephemeral visual languages, questioning both the human condition and our responsibilities to the wider culture and its environs.
Bec Dean
Associate Director The Performance Space

Sunday, August 29, 2010

It's a sign

I have been collecting plastic bags in my neighbourhood for some years now. Door-knocking on a Sunday night, interrupting people's private lives with a request for heavy duty shopping bags that they might have for me.
Last year I could fill my living room with the bags of bags that I'd collect, enormous piles in just an hour, bulk!
The last couple of weeks I have endeavoured to collect more, and do you know what? People have stopped getting bags! The vast majority of people have turned to green bags and don't have anything for me. I came home with a measly dozen, and yet feel immensely gladdened that the tide has turned, if just in my street and that people are really alarmed by glaobal warming and wastage, and areacting where they can.
It makes me love them more, as we are all in it together, and we have to do what we can.
Also it means that my work will have to change form somewhat. Hmm.
The thing I like the most about door-knocking is that I will miss being privvy to the domestic lives of all these people. Some invite me in, many have dogs and children and I get to meet them, only one was nasty, and she obviously didn't want to come to the door, and was angry at me for that, but everyone else was cooking dinner or playing music and I got a window into their lovely worlds for a minute or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment